HALL STONE LODGE
In February 1926 a group of far-seeing Brethren met at the Spread Eagle Hotel to discuss the formation of a new Lodge in Epsom. The Members were from the Ebbisham Lodge who decided that the number of persons wishing to become Masons was on the increase in this district, and in order to meet the demand, a new Lodge was now an urgent necessity. It was felt that any new Lodge founded in Epsom should be for the comfort of local Masons, and have the goodwill and assistance of the mother Lodge, Ebbisham No. 2422 who gave hearty support to the Petition. On June 22nd another meeting was held at the Hollies Club (now Epsom Club) when the Founders met to design the Founder's Jewel, and to lay down the work for the Worshipful Master designate.
Accordingly, a stated day being appointed they met again at the Spread Eagle Hotel on August 3rd. when the Founders heard from W. Dep. Provincial Grand Master, W. Bro. G. H. Redwood, P.G.D. that he had agreed to consecrate the new Lodge at Freemasons' Hall on 23rd September, 1926. The naming of the Lodge was left to a Committee who discussed various possibilities. The name decided upon was Harley Grellier Lodge, as the late W.Bro. Grellier was a Grand Lodge Officer, a much loved member of the Ebbisham Lodge, and for a long period had been the Preceptor of the Ebbisham Lodge of Instruction.
The consent of the Grellier family was obtained, and one of the sons, W.Bro. C. Grellier was on the list of Founders. Grand Lodge however, in its wisdom forbad the naming of the Lodge after an individual, so the name was changed to the Prince of Wales, the then Provincial Grand Master of Surrey, who graciously consented that the new Lodge should bear his name.
When the Lodge was consecrated, the following Officers officiated at the ceremony:-
CONSECRATION OF PRINCE OF
At Freemasons' Hall (
W.Bro. G. H. Redwood, P.G.D. (
assisted by W.Bro. G. V. A. Schofield, P.A.G.D.C. (
W.Bro. Percy Still, P.G.D. as Senior Warden
W.Bro. H. Bladon, P.G.Std.B., P.P.S.G.W. as Junior Warden
W.Bro. Rev. W. E. R. Morrow, M.A., P.P.G.Chap. as Chaplain
W.Bro. G. R. Saunders, P.A.G.D.C. as Director of Ceremonies
W.Bro. W. A. Latham, P.A.G.Purs.Prov.A.G.Sec. as Inner Guard
The Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master became an Honorary Member of the Lodge, together with all the Consecrating Officers.
THE FIRST OFFICERS AND FOUNDERS OF THE LODGE
W.Bro. A. E. WiIliams Worshipful Master
W.Bro. Austin Reynolds Acting I.P.M.
W.Bro. E. G. A. PuIlinger Senior Warden
W.Bro. E. J. Hodsdon Junior Warden
W.Bro. W. G. Furniss Treasurer
W.Bro. R. E. F. Foulger Secretary
W.Bro. W. Thomas Director of Ceremonies
Bro. H. B. Lodge Senior Deacon
Bro. H. C. Pettett Junior Deacon
W.Bro. E. T. Hewlitt Almoner
Bro. J. H. Mortimer Organist
Bro. A.H. Gwinnell Inner Guard.
Bro. H. J. Roll Steward
Bro. E. S. Bradley Steward
Bro. W. D. Bradley Steward
W.Bro. H. E. Mepham
W.Bro. E. G. Wilson Bro. C. J. G. Roe
W.Bro. W. H. Edwards Bro. D. E.
W.Bro. W. R. Page Bro. S. J. Ross
W.Bro. C. GreIlier Bro. J. Swift
Bro. H. L. Reid Bro. A. H. Y. Avison
Bro. George Banks
CONSECRATION OF THE PRINCE OF
Banquet in the Connaught Rooms,
Clear Turtle Soup
Fillets of Sole, Prince of Wales
Saddle of Southdown Mutton Beans and Potatoes
Cherries a la Foulger
With Musical Programme to follow
The Cost of the Banquet - 25/- shillings each.
Each Officer presented his collar and pendant suitably inscribed. The Banner of the Lodge worked in tapestry was presented by Bro. Geo. Banks. From time to time other gifts have been bestowed on the Lodge by the generosity of individual members:-
Bro. Geo. Banks- A Silver Loving Cup (in memory of the Primus Master W. Bro. A. C. Williams), which is circulated about the Banquet Table on Installation nights.
W.Bro. Austin Reynolds-Mahogany Case for the Cup. W.Bro. D. A. Burl-Charity Column.
W.Bro. E. G. A. Pullinger-Principal Officer's Gauntlets. W.Bro. W. Thomas-Past Masters Banner.
W.Bro. W. G. Fumiss- The Tracing Boards.
W.Bro. A. C. Williams-Oak Case of Working Tools.
In the early days it was agreed that the Founders fee should be £6 16s. 6d., the Initiation fee 10 gns., Joining Members 7 gns. and the Lodge subscription 4 gns.
The first regular meeting of the Lodge was at the Masonic Hall,
The membership of the Lodge increased rapidly through the Thirties, and its numbers reached almost that of the present day 53 members. It was in 1932 that the first daughter Lodge was born, when W.Bro. Austin Reynolds proposed and Bro. G. W. Young seconded that the Lodge act as sponsor to a new Lodge to be called "
W.Bro. E. G. A. Pullinger - an Oak Case of Working Tools.
W.Bro. D. A. Burl - the Senior and Junior Wardens Columns.
W.Bro. H. B. Lodge -Wands. Bro. F. E. Roll--Gavels and blocks.
Bro. R. W. Burl - Volume of the Sacred Law.
W.Bro. G. W. Young - Tracing Boards.
Meetings were held every Tuesday evening until 1939 when, owing to the outbreak of hostilities, they temporarily ceased. The working as we know it today is Emulation incorporating same West End and
The Lodge met at Sutton until bombing started in 1940 when the Lodge had to leave the Hall, which was requisitioned as a reception centre for bombed-out people. The meeting place pro tem. was the New Bull Hotel at Leatherhead, where meetings were frequently disturbed by gunfire and bursting bombs, but fortunately only one meeting was abandoned, in September 1940, at the climax of the
At the December meeting 1943 a petition was brought before the Lodge to consider sponsoring a new Lodge to' be called the "Vigilance Lodge" NO. 5946, which was approved and signed by the Worshipful Master and Wardens. In the interest of the Lodge it was considered desirable to' restart the Lodge of Instruction at the "Albion Hotel" a Tuesday 10th September 1946 at 7.30 p.m. At this meeting W.Bro. D. A. Burl, P.P.G.W., was again elected Preceptor and Bro. P. W. Tebbutt as Secretary. The first business was to review the original By-Laws and afterwards discussions aver the amendments took place and the revised By-Laws agreed.
Some interesting talks and discussions took place during the following Tuesday evenings by the Preceptor, one worth recording was on "Masonry in Epsom". The Albion Hotel 100 years ago was the meeting place of Provincial Grand Lodge, probably in the Lodge Room, also the Lodge Fortitude and Perseverance met at the Fox Inn on the site where the "Ladas" is now situated; photographs and list of members were exhibited.
On the 13th February 1947 a petition for a proposed new Lodge to be known as the "Gavel and Sextant" Lodge No. 6463 was signed by the Worshipful Master and Wardens, making our third child, the W.M. to become an Honorary Guest during his term of Office.
In 1948 a letter was regrettably received from the Preceptor stating his inability to accept the Office for the ensuing year. W. Bro. R. R. Chamberlain was elected to the Office with W. Bro. R. W. Burl as Deputy Preceptor.
The September meeting of the Lodge in 1948 was a grand occasion, back home to the
At the Installation Meeting in December 1970, on investing the
The compiler of this resume of 50 years of the Prince of Wales Lodge No. 4845 has himself enjoyed 48 years of Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth. It is our hope that we, by maintaining and practising the true principles of the Craft, may in our turn deserve at the hands of those who come after us a tribute as worthy as that which we now desire to pay to our predecessors.
He begins the next chapter!
In June 1919, Grand Lodge held an especial meeting at the Royal Albert Hall to celebrate peace to the world after the Great War. The Grand Master, The Duke of
The Masonic Million Memorial Fund was then launched, and all brethren in the English Constitution were encouraged to contribute the one million pounds necessary to build and furnish the new 'Masonic Peace Memorial' in
The medals were produced in three sizes. The smallest was a breast jewel suspended on a dark blue ribbon. 10 guineas or more purchased a silver one, 100 guineas or more purchased a gold one. A combined total of 53,244 such medals were issued to individuals. The jewels awarded to lodges were of gilt finished silver appended to a light blue collaret and are worn by masters of lodges that contributed an average of 10 guineas per member. Such lodges are known as 'Hall Stone Lodges' and of 1321 that originally qualified, 88 were overseas. These lodges have their names and numbers inscribed on the marble wall panels in the Vestibule at Freemasons' Hall.
The largest Hall Stone Jewel is of 18 ct. gold and coloured enamels. Only 3 were ever awarded. Two Districts,
The Prince of Wales Lodge 4845 contributed the sum of £299 15s. 6d. to the Masonic Million Memorial Fund and qualified as a Hall Stone Lodge on the 26th September 1928
PULLINGER, Ernest G.A.
HODSDON, Edward J.
FURNISS, William G.
FOULGER, Robert E.F.
EDWARDS, William H.
PAGE, William Richardson
LODGE, Harry B.
PETTETT, Herbert C.
MORTIMER, John H.
GWINNELL, Alfred H.
ROLL, Henry J.
BRADLEY, Edwin S.
REID, Herbert L.
NORMAN, Douglas C.
AVISON, Arnold H.J.
BURL, David A.
CHAMBERLAIN, Robert R.
ROLL, Frank E.
|WAGLAN, Arthur S.
BURL, Archibald W.
FULLER, Leonard H.
LEANEY, Herbert E.
TUCK, Albert E.
PULLINGER, Frank W.
BURL, Reginald W.
STEWARD, Frederick G.
CRACKNELL, James W.
LINE, William E.
GWINNELL, Harry E.
COOKE, Leonard W.
MEMBERS NAMES IN IN BLUE CONTRIBUTED 10 GUINEAS AND WERE QUALIFIED TO WEAR THE INDIVIDUAL HALL STONE JEWEL WITH THEIR NAME INSCRIBED ON THE REVERSE.
With many thanks to Peter Aitkenhead, the Assistant Librarian at the Freemasons Museum Great Queen Street his invaluable assistance.